Saturday 23 March 2013

Vintage wooden cotton reels

Who remembers when threads came wound onto lovely chunky wooden reels?
They're very hard to find these days but here I confess to yet another collection! I've been adding these lovely cotton reels to my Victorian Closet for quite a few years now. I like to re-purpose them and have been making little treasures like this:


The little one is only 2cm tall and is wrapped with printed tape that says "Faith Hope and Love". Sometimes I like to leave the original labels on and this one is a J & P Coats 80 yards of Super Sheen machine twist 40 weight. Who knew! But it had a nice shade of purple thread on it which I wound onto a couple of bobbins and will use in other projects. Sometimes the labels are falling off - if so, I carefully slice them off with a scalpel and save them to use another time. Complete recycling!

This larger reel is wrapped in tape and lace and contains a wee message:

This reel had no label so was topped with a vintage crochet flower and shell button. I will be listing these and others like it in my online Folksy shop - http://folksy.com/shops/SepiaMoods . They come packaged in their own little organza bag and make lovely little keepsakes or thankyou gifts.


1 comment:

  1. vintage photo collage Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete